This page describes the behavior and requirements of free product evaluation licenses. Evaluation licenses use the Node trusted storage license model, but with a few additional restrictions as described below.
- An active Internet connection is required at all times when accessing the simulation tools.
- Offline Activation is not supported for Trial licenses.
How to obtain a trial license
Free 30-day product evaluation licenses can be obtained from the Lumerical Launcher. Download and install Lumerical on your Windows or Mac computer. Get an evaluation license by selecting an application example of interest.
Products can only be evaluated one time. If you have evaluated a product in the past, you must contact Lumerical to get another evaluation.
Product evaluation on Linux
The standard self-serve product evaluation licenses are not supported on Linux. Contact Lumerical to evaluate on Linux, or use Windows or Mac.
Virtual machine activations
VM activation is not supported. Trial licenses can only be activated on supported physical machines.
- Some computer networks are configured so that individual computers access the internet via a proxy server.
- Our simulation software generally detects the proxy server and works without the need for any additional configuration.
- However, if you are having trouble with the license validation through your proxy server, you may manually configure your proxy settings.
- A new window will appear if the automatic proxy detection fails, as shown below, enter the proxy server IP address and Port number, then click OK.
- If your proxy server requests a username and password, a second window will appear. Enter you username and password and click OK.
- The standard Windows proxy server settings can be configured using the settings in the "Internet Options" within the Control Panel.
- These settings are the same ones that are used by Internet Explorer. Normally if Internet Explorer is configured correctly then the product will find the appropriate settings.
- If you are having trouble with the automatic proxy server settings, check your proxy server settings in the Tools -> Internet Options -> Connection -> LAN settings menu of Internet Explorer.
Many computers use firewall software to improve security. Most firewalls are configured to allow all outgoing connections to the Internet but to strictly control incoming connections. The trial license validation process only requires an outgoing connection to the Internet, so normally no firewall configuration is required.
If you are using very strict firewall settings you may have to add exceptions for to your firewall settings to allow outgoing connections. The best way to test whether your firewall is interfering with the license validation process is to temporarily disable it. If disabling the firewall allows the license validation process to complete, then you should re-enable the firewall and add the following firewall exceptions:
- For FDTD: fdtd-solutions.exe, fdtd-engine.exe
- For MODE: mode-solutions.exe, fd-engine.exe, varfdtd-engine.exe, eme-engine.exe
- For INTERCONNECT: interconnect.exe
The rest of Lumerical solvers: device.exe, device-engine.exe, thermal-engine.exe, dgtd-engine.exe, feem-engine.exe